Below is an excerpt from the Desiring God blog,
The Creator On His Knees (Maundy Thursday)
The Maundy in Maundy Thursday comes from the Latin root mandatum, or commandment, taken from Jesus’ words in John 13:34:
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
Just prior to speaking these words, Jesus knelt down to wash the disciples’ feet, a model of love for the disciples. But Maundy Thursday celebrates more than a new mandate of sacrificial love, it points to a sacrifice of eternal significance.
... On Maundy Thursday Jesus dropped to his knees to scrub away every ethnic and economic hierarchy from the church. He upset cultural norms. He now calls us to go low in foot-washing-like service to one another. But most importantly we are reminded that the Son of Man came to earth as a slave to serve us, to be crushed for us, to free us from our own slavery to sin that leads to eternal death, and to open the way for us to enjoy and delight in God’s presence now and forever (Matthew 20:28; Psalm 16:11)
On this Maundy Thursday, I am not washing feet. I am cleaning up potty messes. (I will spare the details, but if you've ever potty trained, you know what I am talking about.)
Reading this post was such a good reminder that this service of cleaning up number one's and two's should point my heart to Christ's "sacrifice of eternal significance." And it is a great reminder, this Thursday before Easter, to demonstrate Christ's love for us by serving my children and husband as mother and wife. This is the "foot-washing-like service" that I have been called to.
And the reward is eternal. Because of Christ's great sacrifice, we "enjoy and delight in God's presence now and forever."



0 comments:
Post a Comment