5/5/11

Two Month Update

(Growth picture coming soon)


Height: 23 in (75th percentile)
Weight: 12.03 lbs. (50 - 75th percentile)

The truth. I would love to report on Anna Kate's likes, dislikes and some fun memories ... But sadly, the first two months of her life have been mostly filled with tears :( The peaceful moments are still few and far between despite our optimism that her reflux medicine was doing the trick.

At AK's 2-month checkup yesterday she managed not so scream for the entire 30 minutes - which I am sure made our pediatrician doubt my sanity. Then, they gave her the vaccines and she cried (of course), but not even close to as hard as she cries normally. I told the nurse so, and she said Anna Kate must be in a lot of pain if she is crying that hard.

Seriously - not to harp on this - but she often screams so hard that her cheeks are covered in tears and she can't catch her breath. I feel helpless. I am helpless. There is nothing worse than not being able to comfort your baby.

It was also a little depressing at the checkup when the nurse asked if Anna Kate was smiling, recognized her parents, followed objects with her eyes, made baby talk ... etc. My answer was, "No, she is either asleep, or she is screaming in pain." Every time I get an email about my baby's development each week, I am sad that she hasn't had the opportunity to interact and grow the way most babies do.

On the bright side (and still keeping my fingers crossed), today was the first day since she turned one week old that we went an entire day without screams of pain. So, I praise the Lord for that and I am praying that tomorrow will be the same.

2 comments:

HPJ said...

That sounds so hard. But thank you for sharing anyway. I know several babies who either due to colic or reflux spent their first months screaming--they're fine now. Babies are so resilient. Sometimes little delays can result in babies that are more responsive to change, adaptable, and later, hard-working and focused as they're learning skills. Hugs. Sorry to hear it's been difficult.

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry, Rachael--that must be so sad to watch and listen to! I'm so thankful that God sustains our little ones even when we are helpless. I love this verse and think it speaks to parents and littles: "He tends his flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; He gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11 Also, I know it's a cliche, but "this too shall pass" has taken on new depth of meaning for me!